Harlan is one of the senior partners of the law firm of Crist, Krogh, Alke & Nord, PLLC. He graduated with a Bachelor of Science degree in Business Administration with highest honors from Montana State University-Billings (formally Eastern Montana College) in 1982, and a J.D. degree, Magna Cum Laude, from Gonzaga University School of Law in 1987. He was Associate Editor of the Gonzaga Law Review.
From 1987 to 1989 Harlan served as Law Clerk to United States District Court, Chief Judge James F. Battin in Billings. For the next 19 years, Harlan practiced law in Billings as an associate and shareholder with another law firm before combining his practice with John G. Crist. Harlan served as President of the Yellowstone Area Bar Association in 2004-05 and he continues to be an active member in both the local and State of Montana Bar Associations and the Defense Research Institute (DRI). Harlan has received an AV preeminent rating from Martindale Hubbell, the highest rating of competence and ethical standing. He is listed in the recognized publications, The Best Lawyers in America for employment, commercial litigation and governmental defense; and the Mountain States Super Lawyers for employment litigation, personal injury and municipality/governmental defense. He has been selected as a founding fellow in the nationally recognized Litigation Counsel of America, an invitation only trial lawyer honorary society representing less than of 1% of litigation lawyers in the country. He has been honored with the Lifetime Achievement Membership among America’s Top 100 Attorneys. This exclusive membership is comprised of the nation’s most exceptional attorneys whose accomplishments merit lifetime recognition. He was also selected as one of the Top 100 Litigation Lawyers in the State of Montana by the American Society of Legal Advocates. He has been selected to the American Academy of Trial Attorneys as well as The Nation’s Top One Percent of the National Association of Distinguished Counsel. Harlan was recently named one of the 10 Best Attorneys in Montana for the American Instiutute of Personal Injury Attorneys.
Harlan is a frequent presenter at seminars on a variety of topics including discrimination law, employment law, municipal defense, and trial litigation in general.
Harlan was awarded the Montana State University-Billings (formerly Eastern Montana College) Distinguished Alumni Award in 1996. He also served his local community when he was elected to the Billings School District Board of Trustees in 1995-1998. Harlan is a Past President of the Midland Roundtable, an organization devoted to promoting sports, and past Council President of the Lutheran Church of the Good Shepherd. Harlan also currently serves on the Board of Directors of the Big Sky State Games, a grassroots Olympic organization for the State of Montana. Harlan is also a current board member of St. John’s Lutheran Ministries Foundation. Harlan’s practice is confined to personal injury, insurance defense, commercial litigation, municipal law and employment law.
Harlan is married to Mary Beth, a former elementary school teacher. Harlan’s hobbies include following his children and their activities, golfing, snow skiing and enjoying the great outdoors of Montana with his family.
Areas of Practice
- 100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- Gonzaga University School of Law, Spokane, Washington
- J.D. magna cum laude – 1987
- Law Review: Gonzaga Law Review, Associate Editor
- Montana State University-Billings
- Bachelor of Science – 1982
- Honors: Graduated With Highest Honors
- Honors: Distinguished Alumni Award in 1996
- Major: Business Administration
Honors and Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America
- The Mountain States Super Lawyers
- Founding Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America
- American Academy of Trial Attorneys
- American Society of Legal Advocates
- National Association of Distinguished Counsel
- 10 Best American Institute of Personal Injury Attorneys in Montana
- Lifetime Achievement among America’s Top 100 Attorneys
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Yellowstone Area Bar Association, Past President – currently a member
- State of Montana Bar Association, Member
- Defense Research Institute (DRI), Member
- Lifetime Achievement Membership among America’s Top 100 Attorneys
- Midland Roundtable, Past President
- Centennial Youth Foundation, Past Board Member
- Big Sky State Games, Board of Directors
- Boulder Arrowhead Little League , Past Board Member
- St. John’s Lutheran Ministries Foundation, Board of Directors
- American Society of Legal Advocates- invitation only
- Mountain States Super Lawyers
- Litigation Counsel of America-invitation only
- Best Lawyers