John G. Crist graduated from the University of Montana in 1980 with a B.A. in Philosophy, with High Honors. He is a 1984 Honors graduate of the University of Montana Law School, where he served on the Law Review.
After law school, he practiced with the Minneapolis-based law firm of Dorsey & Whitney, PLLP for 13 years as an associate and later a partner in the Trial Department. John G. Crist left Dorsey & Whitney in February 1998 to establish the Crist Law Firm, LLC.
Since the beginning of his legal career, he has been engaged in commercial and employment litigation. On the commercial side, he has litigated, arbitrated and tried disputes in the areas of securities fraud, wrongful termination, discrimination, electric cooperatives, anti-trust, construction, oil and gas, non-compete agreements, arson fraud, minority shareholder disputes, personal injury and various contract matters.
John G. Crist has been actively engaged as a mediator, handled in excess of 250 matters in the past 20 years. John G. Crist has tried in excess of 50 cases in state and federal court in Montana, arbitrated numerous cases before the AAA and various securities arbitration panels, represented employers in labor arbitrations, and has handled numerous administrative hearings before the Montana Human Rights Bureau.
John G. Crist was inducted into the American College of Trial Lawyers in March of 2012. He has received his AV rating from Martindale Hubbell, has been included in Mountain States Super Lawyers (2008 – present), and in The Best Lawyers in America.
John G. Crist has been active on numerous state and local bar committees. He is the Past-President of the Yellowstone Area Bar Association.
Areas of Practice
- 90% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- Montana, 1984
- U.S. District Court District of Montana, 1985
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit, 1994
- U.S. Tax Court, 1989
- U.S. District Court District of Minnesota, 1986
- University of Montana School of Law, Missoula, Montana
- J.D. – 1984
- Honors: With Honors
- Law Review: Law Review, Staff Member, 1983 – 1984
- University of Montana, Missoula, Montana
- B.A. – 1980
- Honors: with High Honors
- Major: Philosophy
Honors and Awards
- AV Rating from Martindale Hubbell
- Mountain States Super Lawyers, 2008 – 2016
- Best Lawyers in America, 2008 – 2016
- American College of Trial Lawyers, 2012 – Present
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association, Member, 1984 – Present
- Montana Bar Association, Member, 1984 – Present
- Yellowstone County Bar Association, Member and past President , 2004 – Present
Past Employment Positions
- Dorsey & Whitney, LLP, Associate and Partner, 1984 – 1998
Pro Bono Activities
- Past Chairperson, Yellowstone County Bar Pro Bono Committee
- Past President, Yellowstone Area Bar Association, 2008 – 2009